Buffalo Ridge Safari Lodge is a five star lodge situated on a prime site in the west of the malaria free Madikwe Game Reserve. The inception of this exclusive lodge has an exceptionally inspiring story to it in terms of local community upliftment, business smart, outstanding management and of course, breathtaking location and lavish accommodation. The safari lodge boasts a range of activities for guests to enjoy. The Lodge is an ecotourism partnership between North-West Park, the Balete Ba Lekgophung community and the operator, The Nature Workshop. The community has a 45-year lease to operate a commercial lodge with traversing rights across the reserve.
- The Lodge
|Rates inclusive of 15% VAT • South African Rand • Subject to availability|
May 2019 to
30 Jun 2019
Jul 2019 to
30 Apr 2020
|Per Person Per Night Sharing||R3 265||R4 695|
|Per person per night – 30% Single Supplement||R4 245||R6 100|
|Kids 3-12yrs sharing with Adult||R1 640||R2 345|
May 2020 to
30 Jun 2020
Jul 2020 to
30 Apr 2021
|Per Person Per Night Sharing||R3 480||R5 000|
|Per person per night – 30% Single Supplement||R4 525||R6 495|
|Kids 3-12yrs sharing with Adult||R1 740||R2 500|
The lodge has eight suites, each with their own viewing deck, decorated in natural hues of colour and texture, offering a very private and luxurious experience. The thatched suites, with sliding doors from each room and shower allow the guest to experience a oneness with the beauty of the bushveld.
The main lodge is spectacularly located on two tiers of the ridge, accessed via a wooden bridge that crosses a ravine surrounded by rock figs. Each of the living areas has its own character, mood and style providing guests with a choice of breathtaking views and tranquil spaces. The lodge has reception, dining, lounge, an upper and lower deck, and swimming pool areas.
Open vehicle game drives, stargazing, bush dining, birding, botany interests. Madikwe is home to a tremendous diversity of fauna and flora, including both black and white rhino, buffalo, elephant, lion, leopard, cheetah and wild dog. The lodge is a superb open vehicle safari destination where guests are accompanied by well-trained and informative rangers who are able to interpret the many encounters whilst on safari.
What to take
Comfortable walking shoes, sun hat, sunglasses, sun block, cameras, binoculars, light neutral-coloured clothing and bathing suit in summer; and warm clothing and jackets are essential in winter (May to October).
Summer – October to March
Rainy season with hot days and warm nights. Temperatures 25°C – 40°C.
Winter – April to September
Dry season with generally warm days and cold nights. Temperatures 0°C – 25°C.
How to get there
Daily scheduled flights are operated from Johannesburg International Airport to the Madikwe Airstrip with Federal Air / Madikwe Air Charters. Private air-charters are organised on request. It is only a 4-hour drive from Johannesburg to Buffalo Ridge (Please request a map on reservation).
GPS Co-ordinates: S24 46m 0.11s | E26 12m 17s
Directions to Buffalo Ridge from Johannesburg International Airport, now O.R. TAMBO AIRPORT
- Take R21 to Pretoria.
- Head north on the N1 towards the N4 Toll Road.
- Take the N4 Toll road north west towards Rustenburg, Swartruggens, Groot Marico and Zeerust.
- Once in Zeerust turn right at the fourth stop street into President Street. There is a signpost on the left that says “ Madikwe Game Reserve/Gaborone” and a First National Bank on the corner to the right.
- Follow the R49 towards the reserve for approximately 97km.
- The first entrance to the reserve is Abjaterskop gate.
- Pass that gate and enter at the next gate – Wonderboom Gate exactly 7km from the first gate.
- Contact details for the Lodge: +27 (0)18 365-9908 and ask for Godfrey or Priscilla.
The Main Lodge
Buffalo Ridge Safari Lodge is situated on the Tweedepoort Ridge overlooking the plains and inselbergs of the western section of Madikwe Game Reserve. The main lodge is spectacularly located on two tiers of the ridge and is accessed via a wooden bridge that crosses a ravine surrounded by rock figs. Each of the living areas has its own character, mood and style providing guests with a choice of breathtaking views and tranquil spaces.
Whether you are relaxing in the lounge, on the lower or upper deck areas or at the pool, you will find a space that suits your mood.
Luxury Thatched Chalets
The lodge has eight suites, each with its own viewing deck, decorated in natural hues of colour and texture, offering a very private and luxurious experience.
The thatched suites, with sliding doors from each room and shower, allow the guest to experience a oneness with the beauty of the bushveld.
Madikwe Game Reserve is home
to a tremendous diversity of fauna and flora, including both the black
and white rhino, buffalo, elephant, lion, leopard, cheetah and wild
The lodge is a superb open vehicle safari destination where guests are accompanied by well-trained and informative rangers who are able to interpret the many encounters whilst on safari.
All prices are quoted in South African Rands (ZAR) and are inclusive of 15 % VAT.Tariff Charges
- All tariffs quoted are subject to change, without prior notice, however rates quoted for confirmed bookings will be honoured
- All meals, teas and coffees. Game drives and Safari Activities
- Phone Calls, Bar Account, Bed Levy @ R 10.00 per Person per Night
- Park Entrance fees, Landing fees, Guest Conservation Contribution
- Bar Services
- Children of all ages are welcome at most of our lodges (please enquire)
- Babysitters available
- Children under 6 years old are not permitted on game drives
- In order to confirm your booking, a 50% deposit is required. Please note that your booking will only be confirmed on receipt of your deposit. Balance is due 30 days prior to arrival.
If a booking is cancelled after confirmation, the deposit will be forfeited. In addition, the following fees will be levied and the scale of charges expressed as a percentage of the total price is as follows:
- Four weeks before arrival - 75% of the total amount
- Two weeks before arrival - 100% of the total amount
Guests may arrive any time from 2pm, and rooms are to be vacated by 11:00am.What to Take
Comfortable walking shoes • Sun hat • Sunglasses • Sun block • Cameras and binoculars • Light, neutral coloured clothing • Swimming costume • Warm jackets are essential in winter (May -October)Climate
Summer - October to March
Rainy season with hot days and warm nights. Temperatures 25°C - 40°C.
Winter - April to September
Dry season with generally warm days and cold nights. Temperatures 0°C - 25°C.
Flight | Air Transfers | Private Charters
• Daily scheduled MADIKWE AIR flights from O.R.Tambo
• Private charters are available on request
• Road transfers available on request
• Entrance Fee into the Madikwe Reserve by Air, please settle in camp.