The adventure begins the moment you arrive at Madikwe Game Reserve. A wonderful welcome awaits you at the main lodge, Rhulani means “Relax” so sit back and enjoy! Creating Rhulani has been both stimulating and inspirational, we set out to transform the ordinary into the extraordinary, to build a modern day refuge, an oasis of calm, a place to nourish the soul and lift the spirit.
We invite you to experience the serenity and harmony of this special place with us; come celebrate nature, celebrate life! Water cascades gently into the meandering rock pool around which you will find ample sun or shade provided by beautiful old Marula trees, an ideal spot for quiet contemplation. Indoors and outdoors merge effortlessly at Rhulani, ensuring you magnificent views of the bush. Sit and meditate awhile; your comfort is assured as you relax surrounded by earthy rich African colour and our warm hospitality.
- How to get there?
|Rates inclusive of 15% VAT • South African Rands • Subject to availability|
|Details||6 Jan 2019 to
12 Dec 2019
|13 Dec 2019 to
4 Jan 2020
|Luxury Private Chalet - Per Person Per Night Sharing||R6 105||R7 320|
|Luxury Family Suite (4 adults and 2 kids)||R30 505||R 36 610|
Individual Rates 2019 (incl. Last Minute) (all values in ZAR)
|LUXURY PRIVATE CHALET
Rates are per person per night sharing, including VAT
to 12 Dec 2019
|R 5,760||R 4,320|
to 4 Jan 2020
|R 6,910||R 4,320|
- Single supplement: 50% of the per person sharing rate
- One extra bed (stretcher bed) for a child up to 15 years can be added.
- Children under the age of 6 years stay free of charge.
- Children between 6 and 15 years pay 50% of the adult rate when sharing the room with two adults
|LUXURY FAMILY UNIT
Rates are per person per night sharing, including VAT
to 12 Dec 2019
|R 28,800||R 21,600|
to 4 Jan 2020
|R 34,560||R 21,600|
- Bookings for one night on Fridays or Saturdays are only permitted no more than 5 days before the stay
- Peak Season: a minimum stay of 3 nights is required
Single supplement: 50% of the per person sharing rate
We accept a maximum of 1 (one) child sleeping in the Private Chalet on a stretcher bed.
- children between the ages of 0 and 5 years stay free of charge;
- children between the ages of 6 and 15years pay 50% of the per person adult rate when sharing the room with two adults;
- children above 15 years sleep in their own room
- your estimated time of arrival and departure and mode of transport
- any special dietary requirements
- a contact number while traveling
- the names of all the guests in the party
- the ages of children, if any
- rooming lists (Twin, double who sharing with who)
- any specific additional request (anniversaries, birthdays, honeymoon)
- Rates are for up to 4 adults and 2 children, including VAT
- Complimentary welcome drinks
- Luxury accommodation
- Free WiFi internet in your room and all lodge areas
- Stocked Nespresso coffee machine with complimentary tea & coffee in your room
- Well stocked minibar in your room
- 2 game drives of 3 - 3.5 hours each in an open game viewer, accompanied by a qualified ranger
- Complimentary sundowners on game drive
- All meals and snacks on a full board basis (includes breakfast / brunch, high tea, dinner, bottled water)
- Selected local drinks which includes a personal selection of house wines, spirits, soft drinks, tea’s and coffees
- Lunch on your day of arrival (upon request)
- Emergency Medical Assistance
- Pick-up and drop-off at Madikwe's Western airstrip
- Madikwe Game Reserve Gate Entry Fee: VAT inclusive, subject to change without prior notice.
- Madikwe Conservation Levy: VAT inclusive, subject to change without prior notice.
- All beverages not explicitly mentioned as included
- All premium rated wines, spirits and imported champagnes, cigars & cigarettes
- Massages, bushwalks, laundry, curios, excursions, private vehicle
- A minimum stay of 2 (two) nights is required on week-ends (Friday / Saturday); a minimum stay of 3 (three) nights is required during Peak season ( 14 Dec 2018 - 1 Jan 2019)
- Bookings for one night on Fridays or Saturdays are only permitted no more than 5 days before the day
- Children of all ages are welcome at Rhulani Safari Lodge.
- Children under 12 are permitted on safari at the sole discretion of the field guide.
- Children under the age of 6 are not permitted on safari, except if on a private vehicle.
- Even on private vehicle safety needs to be considered and it remains the ranger’s decision whether certain sightings can be viewed whilst accompanied by small children.
- A bumble drive can be organized for smaller children not joining game drives.
- Rhulani offers a complimentary children’s kit. There is a kiddie’s corner equipped with toys and DVD’s. We offer a children’s menu option.
- Babysitting service is available at an extra cost.
Check-in time is 2.00 pm (gate closes at 9.00pm, no exceptions)
Check-out time is 11.00 am (gate opens at 6.00am – no exceptions)
We try as much as possible to adapt the day's program to your individual arrival and departure times. However, at high occupancy we must adhere to our strict times in the interest of all guests. Check-out times are binding. For late arrivals to participate in the afternoon game drive is no longer possible.
Our game drives take place in the Madikwe Game Reserve (Big 5 Reserve) under the guidance of qualified rangers in three open land cruisers. The allocation of the guests to the vehicles is under the responsibility of the Ranger. We consider the customer wishes as much as possible, in order to ensure that groups and families stay together, and that there will be sufficient space on each vehicle. The maximum number of guests on a vehicle is 7 (seven), so that the middle seat will be left free, for the comfort of the guests. In order to respond to exceptional situations such as unexpected unavailability of a vehicle or the wish of bigger groups or families staying together, we maintain the right of using the maximum capacity of 10 (ten) guests per vehicle.
- Morning game drive departs from reception between 5.00am (January) and 6.30am (July).
- Afternoon game drive departs after High Tea between 3.00pm (July) and 4.30pm (January).
Payment Terms & Conditions
- A 50% deposit of the above total amount is required to confirm any reservation. Full payment of the balance is due 30 days prior to arrival. Bookings within 30 days require full payment upfront.
The following cancellation terms and conditions will apply to reservations which are cancelled in part or in full as follows:
- Only written cancellations are accepted
- Cancellation up to 30 days prior to arrival: 25% of the total amount will be due
- Cancellation between 29 and 15 days prior to arrival: 50% of the total amount will be due
- Cancellation between 14 and 0 days prior to arrival: 100% of the total amount will be due
- Refunds are subject to a 10% administration fee.
Guests checking out prior to the scheduled departure date are not entitled to receive a refund for the nights not used. Exceptions can be made in case that Rhulani Safari Lodge fails to provide promised essential services, such as non-availability of confirmed room category, impossibility to conduct the scheduled game drives or cancellation of meals. The following circumstances are not considered as failure to provide essential services: Bad weather conditions, rescheduled game drives because of weather, unstable or unavailable guest internet, quality of food, dissatisfaction with room infrastructure or cleanliness, or quality of game viewing.
Rhulani Safari Lodge informs that we have updated our list of Rate Inclusions & Exclusions effective 1 January 2019. All our guests will no longer have to pay separately for the consumption from the minibar in their private chalet, as well as for their drinks (except for premium wines & spirits). These are newly included in the daily accommodation rate.
With this extension of our offer, we respond to occasional feedback from guests who have proposed such inclusion.
In addition, we have created a new list of high quality wines, spirits and cocktails, which our guests can access via separate payment. We have added new South African top wines to our list and opened a new chapter of selected international wines from France, Italy, Portugal and Argentina.
Our guests will easily see the current offer on the new "SuitePads" at the bar, in the dining room, or in their private chalet.
We hope that our solution fully meets your expectations, and we look forward to the positive feedback.
Succumb to the peace and tranquility of this spectacular setting. Enjoy the total privacy of your own private plunge pool while you relax in the spacious luxury of your private chalet. The 7 chalets are air-conditioned for warm summer evenings and have a Morso fireplace for the cool winter nights. All rooms are fully equipped with coffee and tea stations and a fully stocked bar fridge. The en-suite bathrooms have an oval bath, twin basins; both in and outdoor showers.
The 2 bedroom luxury family suite has 2 en-suite bedrooms, with outdoor showers, all the rooms lead on to the private deck with plunge pool. The bedrooms have air-conditioning and Morso fireplaces. The extra-large bedrooms can accommodate 2 comfortable stretcher beds for children or the lounge can be converted into 2 single beds. Massage treatments in the privacy of your room or on your private deck. Wireless internet connection free of charge is available in each chalet.
Water cascades gently into the meandering rock pool around which you will find ample sun or shade provided by beautiful old Marula trees, an ideal spot for quiet contemplation. Indoors and outdoors merge effortlessly at Rhulani, ensuring you magnificent views of the bush.
Sit and meditate awhile; your comfort is assured as you relax surrounded by earthy rich African colour and our warm hospitality. During the day you can go on short walks with the ranger after breakfast, or lounge in the double hammocks around the swimming pool sipping your favourite drink. Alternatively, laze away the day in our spacious bush bar and deck overlooking the riverbed and watering hole. For exclusive tranquillity there is a tree house about 2.5 kms from the camp overlooking a dam, where we can leave you for an hour or two with blankets and big comfortable pillows as well as a cooler box with drinks.
In the evening you will be treated to pre dinner drinks in the traditional boma around the fire, followed by one of Umlani's award winning meals in the candle lit dining room, or out in the open riverbed surrounded by flares and cauldron fires.
Our beautiful conference centre, which accommodates up to 30 delegates around our unique leadwood conference table. Conferences can be organised from a to z through our reservations to suite your itinerary. We have nine rooms available at Rhulani however overflow can be arranged at our neighbouring 5 star lodge.
We recommend exclusivity for conferencing. 9 rooms available. Indoor / outdoor. Formal / informal. Standard equipment and Data projector available. 9 luxury suites available Inhouse conference organisation team available to help you.
- Keep to the speed limit, especially when it drops down from 120km to 80km and 60km. The traffic officials are often at these spots including the small villages where the speed limit is 60km.
- The best bathroom facilities en route will be at the Wimpy in Swartruggens or Zeerust.
- If your vehicle takes unleaded fuel, fill up in Zeerust (as you will have another 200km before you return) as the petrol stations between Zeerust and Madikwe are often out of unleaded fuel.
- Please enter in contact with our front of house at the day of your arrival, especially if you arrive after 2pm, so that we can organize for you the activities and meals for the remaining time of the day.
- Should you have any trouble while on the road, please contact the lodge direct on +27 82 907 9628 – our staff will do their best to assist you.
- Do you want to get a feeling of how the road looks like? Watch the second episode of Rhulani Insights video blog, in which owner Rolf is driving to Rhulani.
Our arriving guests have the option to book a road transfer to Rhulani from Johannesburg OR Tambo Int'l Airport, Johannesburg city (including surrounding areas) and from Gaborone. Please contact our Front of House and we will eagerly assist you with the reservation.
The indicative rates for road transfers can be found in our Rates section, Road transfer service is subject to availability.
Our suppliers are professional tour operators. The drivers/guides are fully accredited and medically cleared. All vehicles are comprehensively insured to carry International Tourists (PDP). Rates include driver, vehicle, fuel and toll fees.
Road transfer rates from Johannesburg to Madikwe
2019 per way: 1-3 passengers R4,425 / 4-7 passengers R5,175 / 8-13 passengers R6,375
Road transfer rates from Gaborone to Madikwe
2019 One way transfer: 1-3 passengers R2,040 / 4-6 passengers R3,335 / 7-13 passengers R5,185
2019 Return transfer: 1-3 passengers R3,680 / 4-6 passengers R5,555 / 7-13 passengers R10,080
Air transfer from Johannesburg to Madikwe
Rhulani's arriving guests have the option to book an air transfer with Federal Airlines (daily scheduled flight) from Johannesburg OR Tambo Int'l Airport to the western airstrip of Madikwe. Our staff will be awaiting your arrival at the airstrip at no extra charge and bring you to the lodge, which is 20 minutes away and will already be your first safari. Please contact our Front of House and we will eagerly assist you with the reservation.
The indicative rates for air transfers can be found in our Rates section, Air transfer service is subject to availability.
Guests who arrive by helicopter can land directly at the lodge as Rhulani has its own helicopter pad. Please make your arrangement with our Front of House well in advance.
Our supplier is Federal Airlines (Fedair). You will be welcomed on your arrival at Johannesburg OR Tambo Int'l Airport and escorted to the departure lounge. After a 45 minute flight, you will land on the Western Airstrip of Madikwe Game Reserve, where you will be greeted by Rhulani's ranger and brought to the lodge (15 minutes drive). Your first safari!
Daily scheduled flight from Johannesburg OR Tambo Int'l Airport
From Johannesburg to Madikwe: 13:00h (arrival 14:00h); additional flight in Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, Jul, Aug, Oct, Dec: 10:00h (arrival 11:00h)
From Madikwe to Johannesburg: 11:15h (arrival 12:15h); additional flight in Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, Jul, Aug, Oct, Dec: 14:30h (arrival 15:30h)
Rates for 2019: R4,080 per person one way flight, South African Residents: n/a
Please make sure you have enough time at the terminal of Johannesburg OR Tambo Int'l Airport, if you have a flight connection. Please note the current terms and conditions regarding check-in times and luggage restrictions by Fedair. Landing & departure times may be delayed due to waether conditions or animal obstructing the runway in Madikwe. Rhulani cannot be held responsible for flight delays.
Please let us know if you would like us to organize a charter flight for you.
Rhulani safari Lodge has its own helipad.
- No pets allowed
- All firearms need to be declared at the Main Gate
- Gates open at 6.00am and close at 6.00pm
- It is important to drive carefully and be aware of village pedestrians, domestic animals and children.
- Speed limit in the park is 40km per hour
Any gratuities are much appreciated. Cash tips are normally given in South African Rand or American dollars. We allow tipping by credit card. The figures bellow represent suggested minimum amounts -- if you receive exceptional service, a greater tip is always appreciated!
Rangers: R125 ( U.S. dollars) per guest per day in a shared vehicle. Therefore, if you are with 5 people in your party and stay at the lodge for 3 nights, you would tip the individual R1,875 (0 U.S. dollars). Please tip your ranger separately, as we have a “staff pool” for any other staff.
Other staff: R125 ( U.S. dollars) per guest per day.
Experience the sensational game viewing opportunities that await you at Rhulani, whether it is from an open Land Cruiser, on foot with your experienced game ranger, or from the front of the lodge at the nearby waterhole.
Discover some of the 350 bird species Madikwe boasts.
Try the exquisite dining experience under the magnificent African night sky, warmed by a roaring fire. In addition, a variety of indoor and outdoor dining locations are also available. For those special occasions, enjoy a romantic dinner on your own private deck.
Our traditional Southern African cuisine is complemented by a selection of world-class South African wines.
Learn why mother Earth sent Scorpion to kill Orion during star gazing session. According to World Travel Market Global Trends report 2010, 50% of the world's population can no longer see the stars so few places remain in the world where people can enjoy the skies pollution-free. So don’t miss this opportunity to experience the grandeur of the heavens under a South African sky, weather permitting.
Enjoy a cocktail around the swimming pool that overlooks the Madikwe Game Reserve. Lie on loungers on our wooden sun-deck to enjoy the warmth of Africa.
Let your children have fun in the playroom equipped with toys, art supplies and DVDs. We also have babysitters who will keep an eye on them while they are in the playroom, or while they take time off to hunt for bugs together.
Treat yourself to some fine souvenirs from our well-stocked curio shop that offers a wide range of South African artistic creations as well as safari clothes and curios.
Activities you can add when at Rhulani
Massages & Treatments
Indulge in a variety of massages in the privacy of your own room or on your private deck. See our current Massage & Treatment program here.
Feel the butterflies in your stomach and experience the African bush by going on a guided bush walk with our qualified ranger.
Excursions to Botswana
Visit the city of Gaborone, capital of Botswana, only 40km away from Rhulani. Learn about the rich cultural traditions of the Tswana people, or explore settings for The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency – popular mystery novels by Alexander McCall Smith – now televised.
Activities subject to prior arrangement
If you’re a bush fanatic at heart, or simply love the peace and quiet that being in the middle of nature has to offer, then why not choose to have your wedding with us?
Read here about the bush-wedding from Sara and Francisco
Do you want to give support to Madikwe Game Reserve’s conservation activities? Are you interested in learning more about rhino protection measures and organise a rhino-notching event for your group of travelers during your stay at Rhulani? Or are you interested in participating in lion contraception or buffalo collaring?
Our beautiful conference centre accommodates up to 30 delegates around our unique leadwood conference table. Conferences can be organised through our Reservations department and will be designed to suit your itinerary.
We have nine rooms available at Rhulani, however, overflow can be arranged at our neighbouring five-star lodge.