Thakadu River Camp is an ecotourism partnership between North-West Parks, the Molatedi Community and the operator, The Nature Workshop. The community has a 45-year lease to operate a commercial lodge with traversing rights across the Madikwe Game Reserve. The concept is unique in South Africa in that the community owns the development, with substantial benefits accruing back to the community itself.
Thakadu River Camp is set within the riverine canopy along the banks of the Marico River and consists of 12 tented suites, each with their own viewing deck overlooking the river. The tents are spacious and are superbly decorated and appointed. The core of this project's success lies in its prime location: the Madikwe Game Reserve. This area is located along the Botswana border and 20km from Gaberone, one of the few reserves in southern Africa which is malaria free.
|Rates inclusive of 15% V.A.T. • South African Rands • Subject to availability|
|Details||1 Apr 2018
30 Sep 2018
|1 Oct 2018
31 Mar 2019
|Standard Tentes Suite Single||R4 530||R5 455|
|Standard Tented Suite Per Night Sharing||R3 025||R3 635|
|Family Tent Single||R4 530||R5 455|
|Family Tent Per Person Per Night Sharing||R3 025||R3 635|
|Children under 12 yrs sharing||R1 515||R1 815|
These special rates are applicable to SA residents only.
|01 Apr 2018 to 30 Sep 2018||Per Person Sharing|
|SA Resident Rate||R3 000|
|Minimum 3 Night Stay||R2 700|
|7 Day Rate||R2 700|
Rate includes all meals and 2 game drives daily
Above Rates are per person sharing
Rate excludes gate entrance fee of R180 per person per stay and conservation levies of R 150 per person per night and bed levy of R10 per person per night rates will apply on block out dates
Single rate is a 50% supplement of the sharing rate.
Children between the ages 6 – 12 years will pay 50% of the adult sharing rate. Children over 12 are charged as adults.
The above Conservation Levies are subject to change.
Thakadu River Camp is located on the banks of the Marico River, an exclusive lodge offering a maximum of 24 people a bush experience which is impossible to replicate in larger concerns. The influence of the river is very apparent, with the trees, birds and water providing a peaceful and tranquil mood within the camp.
Thakadu River Camp comprises twelve tented suites, each with their own viewing deck overlooking the Marico River. Of the twelve tented suites, four are family units, each with an extra sleeper couch catering for children.
Morning and afternoon/evening game-drives in open game-viewing vehicles, bush sundowners and drink stops on the Reserve, visits to hides. Regrettably, due to safety concerns, children under 6 years of age are unable to participate in game-drives (shorter kiddies game drives can be arrange after breakfast).
Game-rich country with Big Five (black & white rhino), elephant, lion, buffalo and leopard) cheetah, wild dog, hyaenas, hippos, kudu, springbok, eland, red hartebeest, giraffe and impala, A paradise for bird watchers.
Thakadu River Camp is a wholly-owned Community-based Tented Safari Camp within Madikwe Game Reserve, which is located in the North West Province of South Africa. Thakadu is easily accessible by private charter or the daily Madikwe Shuttle into Madikwe Eastern Airstrip just 45 minutes from Thakadu through the reserve. Thakadu River Camp is 3 and a half hour’s drive from Johannesburg on the N4 via Sun City.
Federal Air operates a daily flight from Johannesburg International Airport to Madikwe Airstrip, departing at 11H15 and returning at 12H30. Private air charters fly directly to Madikwe airstrip, 25 minutes from the lodge. Morukuru Lodge is easily accessible by two-wheel drive vehicle on good roads. The driving time from Johannesburg is 3.5 hours on good roads.
Subject to availability of suitable accommodation
andmaximum2children sharing a bedroom with 2 adults:
Third Person Sharing: Not applicable
Game Lodges Policy:
- Children: 0 - 5 years of age
- Stay free of charge only when sharing with two full paying adults, meals charged on consumption
- Children: 6 - 11 years of age
- Pay 50% of the adult sharing rate when sharing with two full paying adults
- Full adult rate applicable if occupying their own room
- Children: 12 years & older
- Occupy their own room and pay full adult rate
Where a child shares with 1 adult the adult sharing rate
At Game Lodges, children under the age of 12 years will be accommodated on special children's game drives. This is subject to availability and at the discretion of the lodge manager.
are offered ta R110/
There exists an option of a sole use vehicle at R3600 per day to facilitate children under 6 on game drives should the family require this.
Children under age of 6 not permitted on game drives.
- Inclusive of 15% V.A.T.
- Luxury accommodation
- Two game drives per day
- All meals daily
- Welcome drinks and teas & coffees at meals
- Road transfer from the Madikwe Airstrip to the Lodge
- In South African Rands
- Subject to availability
All tariffs quoted are subject to change, without prior
notice, however rates quoted for confirmed bookings will
- Should a cancellation be received 61 days prior to arrival, the deposit will be refunded in full unless the reservation falls between 20 December and 01 January, in which case the deposit is non refundable.
- Reservations cancelled 31-60 days prior to arrival will be charged a 50% cancellation fee of the total accommodation amount
- Reservations cancelled 1-30 days prior to arrival will be charged a 50% cancellation fee of the total accommodation amount
- All cancellations must be made in writing
- Park fees - R210 per adult per STAY | R105 per child per STAY
- Landing fees - R280 per adult | R140 per child (provisional, subject to change)
- Guest Conservation Contribution: R210 per adult per DAY | R75 per child per DAY