Tuningi is a stunning game lodge set in a valley in western section of Madikwe. It accommodates 16 people in double volume, free standing thatched rooms that all have their own private decks as well as beautiful interiors. Madikwe Game Reserve is a true African success story and Tuningi proudly enhances the experience! Tuningi Safari Lodge stands apart from most other five star game lodges in that children of all ages are accepted and there are two family suites in which parents and their children can be accommodated in their own rooms but are all under one roof with an enormous living area and deck too. There is also the option of Children’s game drives. The Lodge offers all the sumptuousness of a five star lodge as well as a warm and relaxed atmosphere, delicious food and fabulous game drives.
- How to get there
|Rates inclusive of 15% VAT • South African Rand • Subject to availability|
|All tariffs quoted are subject to change, without prior notice, however rates quoted for confirmed bookings will be honoured|
|Details||1 Aug 2018
to 31 Dec 2018
|1 Jan 2019
to 31 Dec 2019
|Main Camp - Per Person Per Night Sharing / Single||R6 850||R7 760|
|Children 2-12 yrs||R3 425||R3 880|
|Family Suite - (sleeps 4)||R27 400||R31 040|
|Book within 3 weeks of arrivals|
|Per Person Sharing per night||3 450.00|
All tariffs quoted are subject to change, without prior notice, howeverrates quoted for confirmed bookings will be honoured
* Children between 2 – 12 years will pay the child rate when sharing 1 chalet with 2 full paying guests (not the Family Suite).
Creating triple suites in a Luxury Suite or adding an additional child to the Family Suite will be subject to availability based on occupancy (please contact Reservations).
Please Note: No single supplement for the first single suite confirmed in any one reservation. Second single suite or more pay a 50% supplement on the per person sharing rate.
- Deposit of 20% of the total accommodation charge is required on confirmation. Balance is due 30 days prior to arrival
- Luxury Accommodation,
- all meals,
- game drives,
- teas & coffees with meals.
- Curio shop purchases,
- drinks, telephone calls, entrance fee (fly in or drive in),
- laundry services,
- airstrip to lodge transfers. (Tuningi doesn’t charge for these transfers from the Western Airstrip, however, when the weather is bad and they have to land at the Eastern Airstrip there will be a charge of R250 per vehicle, one way).
Our cancellation policy is as follows:
- 45–30 days – 50% of full amount
- 30–15 days – 75% of full amount
- 14 days or less – 100% of full amount Bookings are not transferabl
- Children between 2 – 12 years will pay the child rate when sharing 1 chalet with 2 full paying guests (not the Family Suite).
- Children of all ages are welcome.
- Baby-sitters are available at an extra cost.
- Children 5 years and younger are not allowed on game drives.
- There is a children’s programme available.
- Children in own room or family unit are charged full rate.
- No charge for children under 2 years of age
- Guests may arrive any time from 14h00, and rooms are to be vacated by 11h00.
- Early check in/ departure subject to supplements.
- Wonderboom gate opens at 06h00 and closes at 21h00.
- Please phone the lodge directly if you are going to arrive later than 15h00
- There are daily scheduled Madikwe Air/Federal Air flights from O.R Tambo Airport (JIA).
- Private Charters & road transfers are available on request.
- Please note we require a 25% deposit in order to secure a ground or air transfer.
Indulge in Understated Luxury, Flawlessly Complimenting the Untamed Surroundings.
Tuningi Safari Lodge’s exclusivity is emphasised by the limited number of rooms, allowing a total of only 16 guests at the Lodge at any time. Guests are accommodated in four Luxury and two Family Suites, with breathtaking views of the bush from private wrap-around decks. The Lodge has been designed in such a way that it is ideal for families, intimate groups or VIP’s in search of utter privacy.
Each beautifully appointed spacious Suite, with a comfortable lounge area, has its own gas fireplace that is lit (on the chilly nights) on your return from your evening game drives or when you retire to bed at night. Air-conditioning and ceiling fans offer cool respite in the summer months. The spacious bathrooms are a real treat at Tuningi… not only is there a fireplace, but an oversized bath with fabulous views and a private alfresco (outside) rock shower.
The private wrap around wooden decks on each of the suites offer the perfect place to relax and enjoy the sights and sounds of the bush.
Without compromising on luxury, Tuningi has not forgotten the specific needs of families. The Lodge was carefully designed to cater for children of all ages, with two spacious Family Suites.
These Family Suites are not only perfect for families looking for extra space, but offer all the same comforts and finishes of the Luxury Suites. They are made-up of two en-suite double bedrooms, and are joined by a dining area, kitchenette and a living room with an expansive timber deck from where the surrounding beauty can be appreciated.
AT A GLANCE
- 4 Luxury Suites (2 guests per suite)
- 2 Family Suites (4 guests per suite)
- Children of All Ages Welcome
- Fine Percale Linen
- Air-conditioning & Heating
- Fireplaces in Bedroom & Bathroom
- Private Wrap-around Decks
- Spacious Bathrooms with Alfresco Rock Showers
- Mini-bar Stocked on Request (additional charge)
- Tea/Coffee Facilities
- Mosquito Nets
- Robes, Slippers, Hairdryer,
- Umbrella & Safe
- Animal Reference Guides & Magazines
Overlooking a Waterhole with Some of the Best Views in Madikwe
Tuningi Safari Lodge combines the wonders of the African bushveld with the splendours of five star luxury. The main entertainment and reception area of Tuningi Safari Lodge overlooks an active waterhole that provides fantastic game viewing from the safety of an expansive wooden deck. The rim flow pool and comfy loungers give the lodge a sumptuous and welcoming feel.
The décor at Tuningi Safari Lodge is African-chic, with the main thatched lodge comprising of a spacious lounge, a cosy dining room and a well-stocked bar and wine cellar. These spaces are interlinked by a sweeping wooden pool deck and walkway that leads to a boma under an ancient sprawling Fig Tree, from which Tuningi derives its name. This boma deck is perfect for outdoor dinners around a blazing log fire, where you can see and hear the wildlife just a few feet away.
Keen wildlife photographic enthusiasts will love the underground hide which overlooks the active waterhole. While sipping on a G&T in the hide guests can experience being on the same level as the wildlife. This hide experience is fantastic – especially when elephants walk right past the windows, offering a unique perspective of their size. Amazing images can be captured with a wide-angle lens, and even some creative low angle photos of animals such as giraffe, zebra, buffalo, kudu and impala drinking from the waterhole.
Keeping active while in the bush is a pleasure at Tuningi. The gym blends into the surrounding bush and guests have the opportunity of viewing wildlife while they build up a sweat. The gym is fitted with a treadmill, spinning bike and a cable cross weight trainer.
For guests who battle to divorce themselves from technology a satellite TV and Wi-Fi are provided in the main lounge to keep them connected to the “outside world”. The ideal way for guests to catch up on some quiet time would be to select a book from the library and settle down in the lounge or on one of the outside decks to read, which is often highlighted by some game passing by. Tuningi is family friendly through and through, and offers an endless array of activities to keep the kids entertained. What’s more, babysitting services are offered at an additional cost when the children are too young to go out on safari, or if parents feel their children are tired and need to sleep while they enjoy their dinner.
A Veritable Extravaganza of Local Flavours
Every meal at Tuningi is the ultimate indulgence: varied, unique, beautifully presented and delicious. Meals are served in the cosy dining room or in the unique boma perfectly set under an old Fig Tree overlooking a very active waterhole.
After a morning of sensational game viewing, guests are treated to a hearty brunch consisting of fruits, eggs, cheeses, and cereals – all freshly prepared and scrumptuous. Lunch too is enjoyed under the giant Fig Tree, where guests can relax and revel in the animals joining them at the waterhole – some amazing game viewing without even leaving the Lodge. As night sets in, lanterns and candles are lit and the mood goes from bush to baroque. Guests return from their game drive to be presented with a bush extravaganza dinner, prepared by Tuningi’s Executive Chef, in the boma with a blazing log fire to keep them warm.
The boma is a truly memorable way to experience an evening under the African night sky. This is the only meal you will share with the other guests in camp. Here you will indulge in fine cuisine and superb wines, from the extensive cellar, while sitting near a warm, crackling fire. This is the perfect opportunity to reminisce, share and discuss the days sightings and experiences. End off the evening with a sumptuous dessert and a nightcap before bidding farewell to the simmering fire to the calling of your suite.
- Enjoy Meals in the Boma under the Shade of a Giant Fig
- Private Dining & Bush Romance
- Spectacular Game Viewing while Indulging in Delicious Cuisine
- Varied, Unique and Beautifully Presented Meals.
- Extensive Wine Cellar with Superb South African Wines
- Families Can Discuss Dietary Needs & Preferred Meal Times at Check In
Situated near the Botswana border, Tuningi can be reached by car from Johannesburg in four and a half hours. For those with a wider budget, and wish to experience an exhilarating fly-in safari, Federal Airlines operates scheduled 45 minute charters from OR Tambo to Madikwe Game Reserve’s excellent all weather 1500m gravel airstrip. The Lodge is a 20 minute complimentary transfer from the strip.
Madikwe Game Reserve, one of the largest game reserves in South Africa, boasts a rich diversity of vegetation ensuring a wide range of game while the topography offers ideal game viewing opportunities. Madikwe is one of few game reserves in the world that was proclaimed a wildlife reserve purely on the grounds of being the most appropriate and sustainable land area for such use.
- ± 4.5 hours from Johannesburg/Pretoria to the Lodge.
- A 50 minute flight from O.R.Tambo International Airport, with complimentary road transfer from the airstrip to the Lodge.
- We will gladly assist with transfer through our reliable partners.
At Tuningi, your wedding ceremony will become a subtle combination of African chic, grace and charm. The ceremony will take place on a ‘koppie’ (hill) overlooking the northern
part of the Madikwe Game Reserve. Defined by careful attention to detail, service and co-ordination, the Tuningi team will lend a stylish yet relaxed and welcoming atmosphere to your exclusive wedding....
On the night of arrival we will treat you and your guests to a traditional bush dinner in the middle of the reserve under the stars. The day of the wedding will begin lazily with a
relaxed brunch on the deck at the lodge, after which all will have time for a rest before the big event.
Defined by careful attention to detail, service and co-ordination, the Tuningi team will lend a stylish yet relaxed and welcoming atmosphere to your exclusive bush wedding.
YOUR WEDDING PACKAGE @ TUNINGI INCLUDES:
- Game drives the day before and after the wedding for all guests that are accommodated at the lodge.
- Bush dinner the night before the wedding for all the guests.
- Wedding ceremony in the bush on a hilltop.
- A welcome drink and snack in the Tuningi boma, overlooking the waterhole, during the bridal couple’s photoshoot.
- Wedding reception and dinner in the Main Lodge.
- Single layer wedding cake with topping of your choice.
- Singing and dancing of Lodge choir.
- Special wedding turndown for the bridal couple including a bottle of South African sparkling wine.
- Wedding gift for the bridal couple, courtesy of Tuningi.
- Full body massage for bride and groom.
- Witnesses at the ceremony (lodge staff).
- Pressing of bride and groom garments.
This package EXCLUDES: (To be quoted on request)
- The Minister, his/her travel and preparation and processing of all legal documents.
- Photographer, hairdresser, make-up artist and additional beauty treatments.
- All Beverages.
- Flowers of your choice. wedding package
Exclusive lodge booking of 16 pax
R26 895 [EXCLUDING ACCOMMODATION]
Weddings of up to 40 guests can be catered for, please contact reservations for a quote
DIRECTIONS FROM JOHANNESBURG
SELF DRIVE: ±4.5 hours via Zeerust / Wonderboom Gate
From ORT International get on the R21 towards Pretoria up to the Exit to the N1 Polokwane (about 37km).
Get onto the N1 towards Polokwane and continue up to the N4 Rustenburg slipway (about 22km).
Take the slipway onto the N4 towards Rustenburg (this is just after the Zambezi drive offramp).
At Rustenburg continue on the N4 through Swartruggens towards Zeerust. Please note that The N4 is a toll road with four toll gates to Zeerust. Three before Rustenburg and one just after Swartruggens.
Once in Zeerust turn right at the four way stop street into President Street. There is a signpost on the left that says Madikwe Game Reserve/Gaborone and an ABSA Bank on the corner on your left.
Follow the R49 towards the reserve for approximately 97km.
The first entrance to the reserve is Abjaterskop gate.
Pass that gate and enter at the next gate – Wonderboom Gate exactly 7km from the first gate.
Once you have entered the Wonderboom Gate follow the ‘LODGES’ sign posts to Tuningi for another 7.2 km. This is indicated with red arrows on the map below.
It should take you between 15 and 20 minutes to get to the lodge from the Wonderboom Gate.
FROM OR TAMBO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT TO TUNINGI SAFARI LODGE
• From ORT International get on the R21 towards Pretoria up to the Exit to the N1 POLOkwANE (about 37km).
• Get onto the N1 towards Polokwane and continue up to the N4 Rustenburg slipway (about 22km). Take the slipway onto the N4 towards Rustenburg (this is just after the Zambezi drive offramp). At Rustenburg continue on the N4 through Swartruggens towards Zeerust. Please note that The N4 is a toll road with four toll gates to Zeerust. Three before Rustenburg and one just after Swartruggens.
• Once in Zeerust turn right at the four way stop street into President Street. There is a signpost on the left that says MADIkwE GAME RESERvE/GABORONE and an ABSA Bank on the corner on your left.
• Follow the R49 towards the reserve for approximately 97km.
• The first entrance to the reserve is ABjATERSkOP GATE.
• Pass that gate and enter at the next gate – wONDERBOOM GATE exactly 7km from the first gate.
• Once you have entered the wONDERBOOM GATE follow the ‘LODGES’ sign posts to Tuningi for another 7.2 km. This is indicated with red arrows on the map below.
• It should take you between 15 and 20 minutes to get to the lodge from the Wonderboom Gate.
FROM GABORONE TO TUNINGI SAFARI LODGE
The estimated driving time is 1 to 1½ hours.
• From Gaborone take TLOkwENG ROAD towards the TLOkwENG/kOPFONTEIN BORDER POST.
• After passing through the border post continue along the R49 for approximately 10km, the wONDERBOOM GATE (thatched roof building) will be situated on your left hand side.
• Once inside Madikwe follow the sign that states LODGES and signs that state TUNINGI SAFARI LODGE.
• The distance from Wonderboom Gate to Tuningi Safari Lodge is approximately 7.2km
AUTOMATICALLY CLOSE BEHIND YOU ONCE YOU HAVE ENTERED.
THIS ROUTE NORMALLY TAKES 2.5 HOURS FROM PRETORIA TO SUN CITY AND 2.5 HOURS FROM SUN CITY TO TUNINGI. THE GRAVEL ROAD ON THIS ROUTE MAKES IT A LITTLE BUMPY BUT NOT IMPASSABLE IN A SEDAN VEHICLE. THIS ROUTE IS SHORTER THAN THE ROUTE THROUGH ZEERUST, BUT NOT OUR FIRST RECOMMENDATION, AS IT IS PARTIALLY GRAVEL. IT IS ADVISABLE TO FILL UP WITH FUEL AT THE SUN VILLAGE, JUST AFTER THE SUN CITY ENTRANCE ON THE RIGHT AS THERE IS NO FUEL AVAILABLE INSIDE
• From ORT international get on the r21 towards Pretoria up to the Exit to the n1 Polokwane (about 37km).
• Get onto the n1 towards Polokwane and continue up to the n4 Rustenburg slipway (about 22km). Take the slipway onto the n4 towards Rustenburg (this is just after the Zambezi drive offramp).
• Once on the n4 continue in the direction of Rustenburg – take exit #225 which is the r556 sun city/majakaneng. (About 64km)
• Turn right at the top of the off ramp to Sun City and continue straight to Sun City (approx 73 km’s to Sun City from this off ramp). After passing Sun City on the right, continue straight (approximately 5 km) until you reach a four-way junction
• Turn right to derdePoort.
• Follow the road for approximately 8.5 km’s and turn left at the sign saying, “BaPonG” and “madikwe Game reserve”
• Continue straight along this road for approximately 34.8 km’s (ignoring ALL signs saying “MADIKWE”) after passing through maBeskraal at the 4 way stop turn right to derdePoort/molatedi Gate.
• After 26kms the road will become gravel/dirt, the Dwarsberg Liquor Store will be on your left. Watch out for a “bump” as the tar ends.
• Continue straight along this road for about 32 km of gravel, (do not take the next Derdepoort turning to the right, continue straight), passing through the Molatedi village over the Marico River and straight to the molatedi Gate entrance into the Park.
• Continue on this road for approximately 10 km’s, you will pass the Park Admin buildings and come to a T-Junction.
• There will be a sign board stating aBJaterskoP Gate and Derdepoort Gate. Turn left towards Abjaterskop Gate.
• Follow this road and turn right at next signboard that says Abjaterskop gate. Stay on the tar road.
• Continue with this road, you will bypass the Western Air strip and come to Abjaterskop Gate 2 km’s after the Western Air strip.
• Exit aBJaterskoP Gate and turn right on the r49 to Gabarone.
• Follow this road for 7 km’s and turn right into the WonderBoom Gate entrance.
• Follow the signs that state “LODGES” and Tuningi Lodge